superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:52:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for Prime?  (Read 16943 times)
dto
Action Ace

« on: June 16, 2004, 08:22:42 AM »

Pardon me if I make any overgeneralizations, but reading several Superboy message boards I sense the following:

1.  Many Superman fans like the idea of Superboy.

2.  Many Superboy fans like the idea of him being Superman as a teenager.

3.  Other Superboy fans prefer him to be a separate individual, such as Kon-El.

4.  As a whole, Kon-El fans don't particularly want him to be TOO MUCH like Superman, but they DO like the idea of them working closely together -- perhaps the "kinght and squire" analogy might be too much, but there's somewhat of a quasi-"father and son" relationship here.

5.  Many Superboy fans would like a full-blooded Kryptonian, while Kon-El fans are mixed -- and they're definitely divided on whether he should be 50% Lex.

I remember enjoying the Superboy "Zero Hour" and "Hyper-Tension" issues when Kon-El interacted with the Hypertime version of the classic Silver Age Superboy.  So as a "guest star" why not bring back someone who can fulfill most of the issues I raised above -- Superboy-Prime?

The Superboy of Earth-Prime IS Clark Kent, but he's no Kansas farmboy.  Instead he comes from New England (probably from Hampton Beach, New Hampshire.  Father Jerome Kent had a home-based personal computer business, while Naomi Kent was an attorney.  Even though young Clark was steeped in Superman lore (by reading COMIC BOOKS!), he would have a distinctly different personality, even speech patterns and accent.

He knows he's Kryptonian, and while Clark may strongly suspect he's actually another Kal-El, there's no direct proof.  Unless Clark gets a hold of "DC Comics Presents #87" he'll never know for sure about his true origin.

Kon-El's been acting rather moody lately (the Luthor revelation has teken its toll), so Superboy Prime's enthusiasm would be a breath of fresh air.  In fact, even after all these years tutoring under Kal-L in the "Paradise Dimension", Prime still hasn't really "grown up".  He's not at all embarrassed in saying "Up, up, and awaaaay!" or "This looks like a job for... Superboy-PRIME!", which might drive Superman and Kon-El nuts.  Can you imagine the other problems he'd encounter in the current DC Universe?  

Superman MIGHT still recall him (he did early in the Byrne years when encountering the Pocket Universe Superboy, but who knows after Zero Hour and Birthright?), but would he trust this strange kid?  How is Kon-El going to take it when he has to share his bedroom at the Kents?  What will Lois say if she met a younger Clark?  Or Lana?  And if you think Batman's paranoid over the new Kara Zor-El, he'll have conniptions over Prime.  "He's ALREADY stronger than Superman, isn't affected by our Kryptonite or red solar radiation, babbles on about multiple Earths and comic books, knows nearly ALL our secret identities..."

And when Superboy-Prime learns of Superman's new-found cousin:  "Kara?  Supergirl's ALIVE?  Not a hoax, not a dream, not an Imaginary Story?"

"Clark, what in Rao's name is an 'Imaginary Story'?"   :wink:

I've always thought Superboy-Prime had potential, and the recent "Superman: Secret Identity" just wetted my appetite for more in the mainstream DC Universe.  What do you think?  After nearly two decades, should "Prime Time" return?

DTO
Psi
Superman's Pal

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »

What you're proposing sounds ALOT like what Peter David had planned in his Supergirl series before it got canceled.  The reason he had brought the Silver Age Kara into his book was to make her the new Supergirl, make Linda Superwoman, and throw in Powergirl (A former version of Supergirl herself) together to make the Super version of "Birds of Prey".

While it seems a little farfetched...  I admit I'd probably pay to see how they did a comic showing Clark and Conner having to live together.   What would you call it?  Superboys?  Or Boys of Steel?
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:29:33 AM »

I'd love to see Prime be more active as Superboy(I loved his origin story) but he's killed and that's a big no no in the "Superman Family". I don't think Superman would fully trust him and might would send him to the Phantom Zone.

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 05:58:37 AM »

Quote from: "Superman of America"
I'd love to see Prime be more active as Superboy(I loved his origin story) but he's killed and that's a big no no in the "Superman Family". I don't think Superman would fully trust him and might would send him to the Phantom Zone.

HAH....Like THIS Superman would have a leg to stand on.  Even going by the tripe in IC...SB-Prime killed by accident.   THIS Superman killed  with cold deliberation.  Judge, Jury and executioner.

Excuse me...I might be behind the times....has That been written OUT of THIS Superman's continuity?

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 06:20:35 AM »

Quote from: "Dylan Clearbrook"
Quote from: "Superman of America"

HAH....Like THIS Superman would have a leg to stand on.  Even going by the tripe in IC...SB-Prime killed by accident.   THIS Superman killed  with cold deliberation.  Judge, Jury and executioner.

Excuse me...I might be behind the times....has That been written OUT of THIS Superman's continuity?

Dylan

One time would be an accident; he killed three times! Yes, Superman killed the three Kryptonian renagades in the pocket universe but he was the last vistage of law there. So, yes he played judge, jury and excutioner because there was no one left alive to carry it out. Superboy Prime's ego drove him to madness and he felt he was becoming as evil as "he thought" the real Earth's heroes were.

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 01:10:49 PM »

It's a safe bet that Superboy-Prime will come out of IC with a new identity and a spectacularly lame nom de guerre in the grand tradition that gave us "Parallax," "Extant" and now "Ion."

He'll be touted as the next great villain of the DCU and never be heard from again.

This looks like a job for...
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 02:09:05 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
It's a safe bet that Superboy-Prime will come out of IC with a new identity and a spectacularly lame nom de guerre in the grand tradition that gave us "Parallax," "Extant" and now "Ion."

He'll be touted as the next great villain of the DCU and never be heard from again.

I hope he repents then kicks Alexander back to the pocket dimension and dies a hero's death.

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:37:18 PM »

You know, even though I started this thread back on June 16, 2004, I'm sorry to see it revived.  After witnessing what DC did to Superboy-Prime, it hurts to read my original optimistic post again.   :cry:

DTO
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L