superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:53:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question  (Read 9530 times)
chin85
Superman Fan

« on: March 18, 2005, 11:33:56 AM »

Hi, I was wondering if somebody could help me. I'm new to superman comics and I am trying to read as much of the early stuff as I can. I've bought the Superman Archives Volume 1, Superman in the 50's, 60's and 70's aswell as Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told. Are there any other books available which contain pre crisis stories? Thanks.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 12:32:49 PM »

Welcome to the site!

Here are some of my favorites:

Superman : The Sunday Classics : Strips 1-183, (1939-1943)

This is the golden age Superman at his most fun outside of the Cartoons. The artwork looks better than the comics of that time.

Superman: Man of Tomorrow Archives: Volume 1

Vol.1 of the Sliver Age Superman Archives! A must have!

Superman From the 30S to the 80S

This is an old classic book, mostly B&W reprints, you can get it cheap on Amazon.

Jimmy Olsen - Volume 1 : Adventures by Jack Kirby
Jimmy Olsen : Adventures by Jack Kirby - Volume 2 (Jimmy Olsen)

These two volumes collects Jack :King" Kirby's run on Jimmy Olsen in which he really cut loose!

Superman: Tales of the Bizarro World by Jerry Siegel

If you love the Bizarros and can't get enough of them, then you will want to get this.

Superman vs. The Flash

All the classic Superman/Flash Races in one handy TPB! This hasn't been release just yet as far as I know.

The Marvel/DC Collection - Crossover Classics, Vol. 1

Superman Vs Spiderman parts 1 and 2 and more stories with other characters, watch the Hulk get owned by Superman and more Smiley

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Alan Moore  official unofficial big send off to the Classic Superman, these were the last re-boot Superman comics made.

Belive it or not there are a lot more Cheesy

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 03:01:54 AM »

There is also the older Superman: From the '30s to the '70s, which was my first introduction to Superman in the comics back in 1982.  It has a lot of the same stories as it's '80s counterpart, but when you get to the '60s and '70s the stories differ.  The older volume is also a tad bit taller than the "newer" edition, but both are well worth having.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 03:54:58 AM »

I have Superman: From the '30s to the '70s, but since he can actually buy the other one on Amazon, I listed that one.

More Superman Books!

Superman Archives, Vol. 1
Superman Archives, Vol. 2
Superman Archives, Vol. 3
Superman Archives, Vol. 4
Superman Archives, Vol. 5
Superman Archives, Vol. 6
Superman: World's Finest Comics Archives, Vol. 1
Superman: The Action Comics - Archives, Vol. 1
Superman: The Action Comics - Archives, Vol. 2
Superman: The Action Comics - Archives, Vol. 3
Superman: The Action Comics - Archives, Vol. 4
World's Finest Comics Archives, Vol. 1
World's Finest Comics Archives, Vol. 2

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 10:49:02 AM »

I think DC have, confusingly, published two books called The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told (if the titles are not exactly the same they are very similar) - I reckon the one that came out about 18 years ago is the vastly superior one, as well as being a much heftier book, than the one that came out last year.

I also think any of the 1970s tabloid books featuring Superman are well worth getting, although they may be a bit harder to come by. Some of them are all reprint, some all new stories (such as Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, vs. Shazam, etc.)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 04:28:09 PM »

Quote from: "Lee Semmens"
I think DC have, confusingly, published two books called The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told (if the titles are not exactly the same they are very similar) - I reckon the one that came out about 18 years ago is the vastly superior one, as well as being a much heftier book, than the one that came out last year.

Old new and best one: Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told

New one that is not worth getting: Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told

- Elliot S! Maggin
chin85
Superman Fan

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 07:50:09 PM »

http://home.nethere.net/tomhartley/smot/

I found this site, but I can't find any mention of Another Man of Tomorrow Archives anywhere else, never mind 21 of them. Are all of these non existent then? Does anyone know if there are plans to release Volume 2 soon?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 01:11:34 AM »

Those are mock ups (fakes) created by a fan of what he wish DC would do.

As far as I know, there are only an Action Comics one plan for this year, #4 I belive.

DC is super slow when it comes to releasing these things.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L