superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman Breaks Loose"  (Read 49475 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: January 11, 2005, 10:33:31 PM »

Yes, it's been reprinted more times than you can count - but there've been a lot of requests for it:

"Superman Breaks Loose"

Whether there's any more or not is up to you guys.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:35:04 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 07:27:39 AM »

I wonder why you felt the need to say "To be honest, we've never liked it"? It's almost an apology for putting Superman Breaks Loose on the website. A lot of fans of the website are also very big fans of the Sand-Superman Saga, Great Rao, which can't have escaped your notice.

I would have to say, without any doubt, there are stories of much poorer value than Superman Breaks Loose in the online comics section -- whether they be poorer historically, story-wise, artistically, or just for plain old entertainment value.

You probably already know my opinion from way back, but the art on the Sand-Superman Saga, particularly the first instalment (and probably the second), has never been surpassed in all of Superman's long history. This is Swan at his zenith, collaborating with his best inker.

The implication that Denny failed with this body of work is a matter of opinion. I don't share it. Look at what came before. Yes, I agree, Denny didn't "get" Superman (and as much as I admire the work of Elliot Maggin, you can't just take his word for Denny's shortcomings no matter how articulate he is)... but the Superman he didn't "get" was the Silver Age one (for want of a better term). The Superman he developed starting with Superman Breaks Loose is a different beast, but I assure you it is Superman: he's a bit older, wiser, a bit more grown up, a little more grim, and the silliness is gone. Now, I really like the Silver Age Superman, but I also like Denny's (necessary) departure from it, his take on the Myth.

The character really did need this departure in attitude and style. But above all, it's entertaining, and a great (and clever) adventure.
Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 03:29:58 PM »

Rao - I have the originals, I also just obtained a decent scanner.  I would be willing to give this a shot, although I can't promise when I can get to it.  Just let me know logistically how I can get it to you when it is done.

Aldous (and any other Super-historian) deserves a chance to read this saga in its entirety.  

I'm biased - I grew up with the Swanderson Superman, so this to me is the definitive Superman story.  Regardless of whether Denny O'Neil may have lost interest with the character afterward- for these 9 issues he was on top of his game.  And as to whether or not he "got Superman", read the final pages of #240's "To Save a Superman", and if that doesn't send chills up your spine, nothing will!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 04:14:02 PM »

If anyone wants to contribute scans, that'd be great.  I'm all for being proven wrong.  Smiley

One person is already working on 234, so just start with 235.   If this really takes off, I'll put together a checklist of who's working on which issue(s).  Scans/questions to rao@superman.nu

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 05:09:02 PM »

While I understand the main flavor of this site, I'm a huge fan of history...the Sand Superman saga was not my cup of tea, but what a combination of personality, reaction to its time, and a novel attempt at de-powering without changing the mythos as much...like it or not, I think it belongs if its possible...

Cheers!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 12:47:29 AM »

I am also not a fan of this story, but the artwork is really amazing (I am a fan of the art), plus DC will never release it again, so it is worth putting up.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 02:35:03 AM »

Well, Super Monkey, it's strange how some people on this website (and people in general) sing the praises of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" -- you mentioned it on the Krypto thread in the Metropolis Mailbag forum -- yet it is not a patch on Sand-Superman Saga. "Whatever Happened..?" is overrated, yet Superman fans (including Rao) have to apologise if they even mention Superman Breaks Loose.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 03:43:43 AM »

For me, as a silver ager when I first read these stories I was excited and thrilled and annoyed when a story like "How to Tame a WIld Volcano" took precedence over the Sand-saga.

That cover of the Chinese demon dragging off both Superman and the SandMan in New York City still sends chills up and down my spine.

Heady times indeed and when Jack Kirby started infusing his 4th world into the Super-mythos - wheee!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L